Thursday, September 2, 2010

Recipe of the Week: Special K Roast (a different version) & Rosemary Roasted Potatoes

I actually posted this recipe before, but I made some changes to it and it is SO much better so here it is.  This summer when we went to Minnesota, one of my cousins is such a good cook and I watched her make this and I liked all the different things she added.  My husband loves this version better!

This is a vegetarian and veggie meal. I got this recipe from my mother in law. Special K is like a meatloaf (only no meat!). You can eat with ketchup or cut up to eat on sandwiches.

Special K- makes 1 9x13 pan (or 2 8x8 pans)
2 lb. cottage cheese
1 small onion, chopped
4-5 beaten eggs
1/2 c. milk
1-1.5 cups chopped walnuts (optional)
1/2 c. oil or butter
1 pkg onion soup mix
1 cup shredded cheese
4-5 garlic cloves
5-6 cups Special K cereal (could use Rice Krispies or Corn Flakes too)
Mix well, place in greased pan. Bake 350 for 1 hour.


I also freeze this meal by mixing everything together and putting in a container in the freezer. One batch makes 2 yogurt containers.  On baking day, I just take it out and let it thaw and bake as directed. I usually make several batches to freeze.  One yogurt container makes 8x8 pan and two yogurt containers make a 9x13 pan.

Rosemary Roasted Potatoes: (found this in a recipe book)
1.5 lbs small red potatoes
1/8 c. olive oil
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 T minced garlic
2 T rosemary leaves

Preheat oven to 400.  Cut potatoes in half or quartered and place in a bowl.  Toss potatoes with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and rosemary until well coated.  Place potatoes on a baking sheet and spread out into an even layer.  Roast in oven for least 1 hour or until browned and crisp.  Flip twice during cooking to ensure even browning.  Remove from oven, season to taste and serve.
 These potatoes were from our garden.  So easy to plant. Just buy a few red potatoes at the store and put in your garden and you will have many more that grow from that!

1 comment:

Ava said...

Oh yeah this is familiar. I grew up Seventh Day Adventist (they are vegetarian) hay stacks, Special K loaf and cottage cheese loaf all bring back memories of Church potluck.