Friday, October 9, 2015

Taming the To Do List by Glynnis Whitwer Book Review


In Glynnis Whitwer's new book Taming the To Do List (How to Choose Your Best Work Every Day), she addresses the problem of procrastination and how to take back your schedule and be proactive rather than reactive.  The constant need to respond to the urgent notifications we receive instead of focusing on our set priorities is a struggle most people are facing today.  But what do we do about this?  Glynnis offers several practical suggestions.  The first half of the book shares the reasons why we procrastinate and the last half shares how to combat it.  At the end of the first chapter the author invites the reader to pick two areas where they want success- a regular routine and a personal goal.  After each chapter there are questions to answer in regard to those two areas.  The goal of this book was to take all those "to do list" tasks and help identify the right strategies to accomplish them in the best way possible.

I chose to review this book because I have an overwhelming to do list not only daily, but also in large quantities.  I feel like my projects are always on my list and never get done.  For me this book was hard to read, but also very good.  I felt convicted to make different choices in how I prioritize my to do list.  It's going to take some discipline and my thinking needs to change.  I really liked the practical application after every chapter, but I didn't accomplish anything in my two areas, but I certainly thought a lot about them.  I would suggest reading this book in slow chunks and really taking time to think and implement the strategies.  There are a lot of good nuggets of wisdom and this is a great book to pick up and find what chapter is most applicable to your situation at the time.

I think the biggest problem I have is getting distracted and not focusing on exactly what I set out to do. 

*I was given a complimentary copy of this book for review.  All opinions are my own. *

No comments: