Thursday, March 24, 2011

Recipe of the Week: Chocolate Brownie Oatmeal cookies (Cookie Carnival)


I like to join fun clubs online and this is a fun Cookie Carnival that happens every month (although I don't participate every month).  It's real simple.  Sign up with Tami Rose and she will send out an email with 2 cookie recipes for that month's carnival.  It's up to you if you want to participate.  If you do, make the cookie and send an email with picture back to Tami.  You can read more info HERE!

This month I made Chocolate Brownie Oatmeal Cookies.  I followed the recipe, but I added some wheat germ to make it "healthy."  Also, I didn't chill the dough.  It made 6 dozen cookies.  I've never used cream cheese before, but it keeps the cookies moist even after freezing.   This recipe came from Quaker Oats.com.



Ingredients



  • One  8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
  • 8  tablespoons (1 stick) margarine or butter, softened
  • 1  cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1/2  cup granulated sugar
  • 2  eggs
  • 1/2  teaspoon vanilla
  • 2  cups (12 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
  • 1-1/2  cups all-purpose flour
  • 1-1/2  teaspoons baking soda
  • 3  cups Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
  • 1  cup chopped nuts
  •   Powdered sugar (optional)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Preparation

In large bowl, beat cream cheese, margarine and sugars until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Add melted chocolate; mix well. Add combined flour and baking soda; mix well. Add oats and nuts; mix well. Cover; chill at least 1 hour.
Heat oven to 350°F. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place 3 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until cookies are almost set. (Centers should still be moist. Do not overbake.) Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack. Cool completely.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired. Store tightly covered.

Cook’s Notes

To melt chocolate chips, place in 1-quart glass measuring cup or microwaveable bowl. Microwave on HIGH 1 to 2 minutes or until melted and smooth, stirring every 30 seconds. Or, place in top part of double boiler over hot, not boiling, water; stir occasionally until smooth.

Yield

ABOUT 6 DOZEN


5 comments:

Unknown said...

They look good! Thanks for participating this month!!

Love the flowers on your background! :)

Tami said...

I wasn't signed in when I posted before. I am now!

They look good! Thanks for participating this month!!

Love the flowers on your background! :)

Tessa said...

Wheat germ is a good idea! I always like seeing oats in cookies because I know that at least 1 ingredient in there is good for me =)

Glad you enjoyed the cookies!

Vivian Thiele said...

I love adding wheat germ to cookies and breads but never thought about adding it to this cookie... hmmmm, sounds intriguing! I may have to go make another batch!

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

It's good to know that these cookies "work" without refrigerating the dough. I found that chilling it made them very tough to work with. Wheat germ is a good idea :)