Friday, June 4, 2010

God's Nuggets: Faith in Action

So a few weeks ago our church had a weekend where we canceled all services and did over 50 projects in the community involving 1000 people from our church.  Shrade and I volunteered for a few hours at the Food Bank.  I was amazed at what I didn't know about the food bank.  Here is a few excerpts from a flyer that we handed out with bags for people to donate.

Did you know?
*Out of 101 people that it takes to run the food bank, only 1 is a paid employee and 100 are volunteers.
*Less than 5% of the food bank funds come from the government and 95% come from community members.  WOW!

I was really humbled in what God has given me and I really want to take a more active part in contributing to my community in a tangible way.  I also think it would be a great project for my son to be in with me as he gets older.

So here is a list of needs for our food bank and probably most others as well:
PEANUT BUTTER! PEANUT BUTTER! PEANUT BUTTER!
Jelly
Breakfast Cereal
Applesauce
Macaroni and Cheese
Canned Fruit
Hamburger Helper
Boxed side dishes (rice a roni, pasta roni)
Kid Friendly Foods (easy mac, spaghetti O's)
Canned meat (Chicken, tuna, ham)
Baby food
Canned veggies
Soup
Spaghetti/tomato sauce and noodles
Mayo, mustard, ketchup

GIFT CARDS:
Grocery store gift cards are needed so the food bank can purchase items that don't come in on food drives like eggs, butter and other things that run low

NON-FOOD ITEMS THAT ARE ESSENTIAL:
Toilet paper
Full size bar soap
diapers, baby wipes
laundry soap
toothpaste, toothbrush
deodorant
feminine products
razors

PET FOOD:
cat food

I learned that over 18,000 families were served at the local food bank in my area.  Families can get food for 4 days at 3 meals a day as well as non-food items once a month.  They never turn anyone away.  I know many people have been blessed by this charity.  I even got a message on Facebook from one of my friends who was a single mom who benefited from such a service.

Now, what do you think you can do for your community in this area?  Can you give, volunteer, something else?  I challenge you to take your Faith Into Action beyond just a one day ministry to a lifetime.  I know I will!   Blessings, Shonda

No comments: