- Sort and rinse 2 lbs of dry pinto beans (4 cups)
- Soak overnight in lots of cool water (I used the crockpot-unplugged)
- Drain and rinse. Put in freezer for a few hours and then take out for a few hours to thaw. This helps with digestion and makes the beans less gassy (I think!).
- Add to crockpot with about one inch of water and cook on high until soft (6-8 hrs) with bay leaf.
- Drain liquid off after cooking
- Saute 1 large onion in olive oil with 1 recipe Taco Seasoning (see below).
- Add onion, 1 small can tomato paste, 1 T brown sugar and sea salt to taste.
- Mix well!
1 T. chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper (used less)
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
You can make several batches with one bag of pinto beans and save a lot of money!
This recipe can be used for anything that you need refried beans for, but in a much healthier way! We use it in burritos, salad (haystacks), and mixing it with salsa for a yummy chip dip! I also mixed these beans with avocado and fed it my little girl. This freezes well. Just heat up with a little liquid. Enjoy!