Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Bringing Up Girls by James Dobson Book Review








Bringing Up Girls: Practical Advice and Encouragement for Those Shaping the Next Generation of Women by James Dobson is a book about the culture and the relationships that are shaping the future of our girls.  The bulk of this book covered topics that affect girls both internally (self-esteem, moral values) and externally (rebellion, early s*xual behavior).  The main issue that was threaded throughout and capitalized on in several chapters was the major role the father needs to take in the life of his daughter.  There were lots of stories, interviews and statistics that were definitely geared toward Christian conservative positions.  This book did cover many of the challenges in raising girls, but did not offer enough practical advice.

I was very overwhelmed and downright afraid of the raising my daughter with the issues that were addressed in this book.  I was hoping for more encouragement and practical advice, but I was loaded with devastating statistics and terrible culture trends that I will have to face with my daughter.  I do have to say that there were some positive chapters that gave me hope, but overall, with the emphasis on the father-daughter relationship, I felt very deflated.  If you want to know more about what cultural difficulties you will be facing in raising your daughter, this book is for you.

*This product was provided to me free of charge for purpose of this review. This is my honest opinion of this book and no monetary compensation was received for my opinion.*
 


No comments: