Sunday, July 8, 2012

Locks of Love 2012

Two years ago I donated my hair to Locks of Love.  Why did I do it?  Read this heartbreaking story from my friend Melody.

From Melody Haase:
Hey everyone! I am still collecting hair. My plan is to do events every two years. Here is the updated letter of why I am doing it with all the rules. Mail it to me, or Locks of Love. Currently we have 165 braids that we collected in Monica's name. We've mailed off the bulk of them, but are still collecting. Thank you all for your love, support, and prayers. What an amazing legacy that Monica left. I can see her smiling in heaven right now, dancing with her sisters, and Jesus; rejoicing over this and our new little baby about to be born.


Our daughter Monica was a sweet, sweet girl that loved to donate hair. The first time she donated it, she was 5. When she turned 7, she said, “Mommy, I have pretty hair.” To which I responded, “Yes, Honey, you do.” She then said, “No, I mean, I have really beautiful, thick, curly, hair.” At that point I was thinking the vanity bug had bitten her and then she continued, “But I don’t need it. There are other kids that need hair more than I do, and they would love to have my hair. So, that’s what I am going to do the rest of my life. Grow it out and give it away.” So that weekend she donated her hair again. While traveling in July 2007, right after she turned 9, she had it cut again, but didn’t want to send her braid off quite yet as she wanted her Nana, Papa and Daddy see it when we stopped to see them. Her two younger sisters, Katie (age 5) and Sarah (age 4) wanted to as well but their hair wasn’t long enough, so they decided when Monica cut it again, they would also. July 8th was Monica’s sister Vanessa’s birthday (turned 11). Vanessa stayed back in Montana with family for a birthday celebration and the rest of us continued on to Washington. That afternoon we were in a terrible car accident and all three girls that were in the car were killed instantly. Monica’s braid was lost in the wreckage. While we are all struggling with the why’s and dealing with our grief, we would like to help others as Monica did. We sponsored a Locks of Love hair drive on Monica’s birthday July 3rd, 2008, and are sponsoring 3 more this summer 2010. Hair and monetary donations will be accepted. 100% of the proceeds will be going to Locks of Love.

God Bless You All,

Melody, Kenton, and Vanessa Haase





It is now 2 years later and I donated my hair again and I got to see Melody too. She is now pregnant with her 6th child and due in October! Consider donating your hair in honor of Monica.  She died 5 years ago today.

Before
After

No comments: