Monday, May 30, 2011

Good Morning Girls Book Club Intro Questions

The Ministry of Motherhood: Following Christ's Example in Reaching the Hearts of Our Children

So, I am part of Good Morning Girls and this summer we are doing a Book Club study using The Ministry of Motherhood: Following Christ's Example in Reaching the Hearts of Our Children by Sally Clarkson.  I have been so challenged not only by reading this book (just the intro so far), but also by the SOAP study that Angela and Courtney have developed to go along with this with verses that pertain to being a mother.  I'll share more in another post about that.  But here are the questions I answered for the Introduction.

1. What purpose do think God had in mind when he designed the role of mother? Have you ever specifically considered that, in becoming a mother, you have actually been called to a ministry? In what ways does this concept change how you think about your role?

I think God's purpose as a mother is for me to be an example of Christ to my children. I know that my role as a mother is my ministry, but I don't have a specific plan.

2. Read Psalm 127:3- if possible, in more than one translation. What does this imply about the ministry of motherhood?

From Psalm 127:3 my ministry as a mother is to teach my children about having a relationship with God and I am to cherish every day with them and take every opp to love and train them.


3. Proverbs 31: 10-31 paints a vivid portrait of the life of a godly woman. Describe what a Proverbs 31 life might look like in modern context. What parts of this description do you find particularly inspiring? What areas pose a challenge for you? How do you think these reactions relate to your ministry as a mother?

A Proverbs 31 woman does it all. I'm inspired to be a woman that can accomplish so much, but I'm completely challenged to try to fit it all in. I know that I need to make a plan.

4. Read Proverbs 14:1. In what specific ways can a woman in this day and age build her house or tear it down? If possible, give examples from your own observation or experience. Then list four specific ways you to want to build your house by ministering to your children and making disciples of them.

Four ways I can build my house: 1- Control my emotions when responding to my son (use patience and understanding) 2- Teach spiritual every day (Bible story, song, BV, prayer) 3- teach academically every day (school time) 4- have fun every day (laugh and play).

5. Write out a plan for ministering to your own children using the acronym GIFTS. List at least one goal for each letter.



G- gift of grace
Model how to handle situations calmly and teach my children to do the same.

I- gift of inspiration
Praise my children when they make good choices and remind them that they are obeying God.

F- gift of faith
Talk about what God has done in our lives.

T- gift of training
Give moral reasons why for behavior based on God's Word.

S- gift of service

Find ways for my children to serve family and beyond.
What about you?  Do any of these questions challenge you?  I can't wait to read more about GIFTS which is what the rest of the book is about.  I am literally changing who I am as a mother each day as I study God's word and read this book.  I am SO glad that I'm part of this study.


1 comment:

Annette W. said...

Thanks for sharing. This looks like another good one to suggest to my Bible study.